This article will help you understand better the difference between shredded coconut Vs desiccated coconut and where and how they are brought into use.
If you’re a coconut lover and love using coconut in your cooking then this blog will definitely be helpful for you. Before talking about where each of these coconuts are used, it is important to understand what is the major difference between a shredded coconut and a desiccated coconut.
Difference between Shredded and Desiccated Coconut
Shredded coconut is obtained by grating the coconut just like we grate cheddar cheese. It is available both sweetened and unsweetened. Shredded coconut contains moisture and can be used for long term if stored with care. Whereas, a desiccated coconut is the one in which the meat of the coconut dries out and it is only left with a little amount of moisture as compared to the fruit.
Talking about the texture of each, desiccated coconut is known to have a fine texture unlike shredded coconut which consist of large flakes of coconut meat. Additionally, the desiccated coconut is only available unsweetened. There are several types in which these desiccated coconuts are available these are; Macaroon, medium, flakes, shreds, chips and coconut flour.
Let’s discuss the benefits and usage of each coconut type below to better understand which one is more useful and helpful.
Health Benefits of Shredded Coconut
Shredded coconut has many health benefits as it is a nutrient rich food, let’s talk about each separately;
- Shredded coconut is an amazing source of fibre that helps improve digestion and prevents intestinal diseases.
- It is rich in healthy fats which helps to improve blood cholesterol levels.
- It contains potassium, sodium and calcium which are good for bones,teeth and muscles.
Usage of Shredded Coconut
Shredded coconut is a versatile ingredient which can be used in baking and both sweet and savoury dishes.
- It can be added to smoothies to give it a creamy texture and elevate its taste and richness.
- If you want to make something gluten free then shredded coconut can be taken as an alternative for wheat flour for non gluten baking recipes.
- It is also widely used in savory dishes, just like fish and shrimps to enhance its flavor.And it is also used with rice and vegetable to add more taste in the food.
How to store Shredded Coconut
The most convenient way of storing the shredded coconut is to cut the coconut into halves, grate the coconut flesh and store it in an ice cube tray and freeze it overnight. Once the cubes are properly frozen they can then be added in a ziploc bag and refrigerated and can be used for a few days.
List of dishes that can be made using Shredded Coconut
Although shredded coconut is used in many dishes but here are some popular dishes prepared using shredded coconut;
Coconut cake, coconut pie, homemade bounty, coconut vegetable curry, coconut rice, coconut cupcakes, coconut fruit salad and many more.
Health Benefits of Desiccated Coconut
Desiccated coconut also have many good impacts on health, let’s talk about them below;
- Desiccated coconut is an amazing for you if you want to lose weight and get rid of your fat and it is rich in fibres and supports better digestion.
- It helps to prevent anemia because it contains high iron contents.
- If you’re suffering from Osteoporosis and arthritis then you should take desiccated coconut because the fatty acid it contains strengthens bones and prevents diseases like Osteoporosis and arthritis.
- It is very rich in minerals such as magnesium and calcium which are very important for the human body to provide the necessary minerals to your bones and muscles.
- It also helps in lowering your blood cholesterol levels.
- It is also found to improve and promote brain function.
How to store Desiccated Coconut
Desiccated coconut because of their less moisture content has a longer life as compared to fresh coconuts. They can be stored easily by keeping them in airtight bags and freezing them. They are known to have a shelf life of over six months.
Usage of Desiccated Coconut
Desiccated Coconut being a versatile ingredient can be used for baking, toppings, sweet and savory dishes to add it’s richness and flavor. Apart from South Indian cooking it is also known to be an important ingredient in Thai cuisines.
The desiccated coconut is so flavorful that it can be eaten alone as a snack or can be added with cereal to prepare a perfect healthy breakfast. Apart from this, it can also be added to salads, sauteed vegetables, and vegetable curry. It is also widely used in baking for making cookies, pie, cakes and smoothies etc.
Which one is better?
By comparing the health benefits and usage of shredded and desiccated coconuts it can be concluded that each type has its own benefits and is widely used in different dishes to add flavor and taste.
However, if we compare both based on the versatility then desiccated coconut will win the race. Also desiccated coconuts due to less moisture have a longer shelf life as compared to shredded coconut.
Contact KAP who are a leading desiccated coconut manufacturers to order desiccated coconut in bulk.
Experts on Sri Lankan Coconut Products.